Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Skywatch & More Snow!

Pardon another old photo- I needed this, as colorful sunsets are becoming rarer as the days grow longer. Just last week we had sky nearly as clear and beautiful- it quite reminded me of this sunset, so I brought this out. It was quite a sight in person. Unfortuantely, it didn't all fit into one frame, and so has been hastily and rather badly stitched together.

Anyhow, we are well on our way into winter. It's always held some sort of charm for me, especially right after snowstorms when the trees are still coated in white (people often say that infrared photographs remind them of snow-covered branches; I find snow-covered trees more interesting because they resemble infrared ones). Earlier this week
we had some fresh snow. It came in gloriously fat, wet flakes that clung to every surface for days.
Snow also has the advantage of being highly reflective. This is not so great during the day, but at night, especially clear, moonlit nights, it practically glows. So recently I've taken to setting up night shots. Both forest photos in this post are long exposures taken at night.


6 comments:

  1. oh my what beautiful scenery you have and you captured it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colors in the last picture. Very nice. I like all the trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous. The snow are are real picture postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the second shot...thanks for sharing your snow shots with us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wonderful! I love being out in a snow covered forest landscape, unfortunately I seldom get the chance as it is a bit too warm in South Australia. I miss the snow and your photos are balm to my soul.

    ReplyDelete