Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Blueberries...


We went blueberry-picking today, and, delicious though they be, I must admit that I cannot stomach any more blueberries today. Pick-it-yourself farms are a spectacular alternative to buying them in a supermarket. The fruit you get there is not only much fresher and less expensive, but the picking is a rewarding experience in itself. It's also a great way to support local businesses.

Today ended with quite a good haul- I expect the next few days will be spent washing and freezing blueberries. Some fruits, especially berries, keep very well when frozen (fortunate, when buying produce in bulk), and can even be eaten straight out of the freezer.

I ended up with a number of decent photos today as well. If anyone's interested, they might be appearing on my devArt in the near future.

10 comments:

  1. great blogs are hard to find. you are a great story teller and writer.
    i wish we had a blueberry farm close.

    thanks again
    kim*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love blueberries - hadn't thought about freezing them! We don't have a place to pick our own but we do have two very nice farmer's markets - I'll have to remember that the next time I go! Great photos too btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle had a blueberry farm when I was little. They are still my favorite summer treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ! I went rasberry picking ! Made jam .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum, yum! My favorite fruit for sure! Sounds like a really nice time going to pick your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds fun and yummy! Your blog is very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm blueberries! great pictures!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blueberries. We don't have any farms that have pick your own here--just strawberries and apples. Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those blueberry photos are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, fresh blueberries. I used to grow two bushes on my front deck in a wine barrel planter. I loved coming out and picking them by the handful in the morning.

    I picked wild blackberries earlier this evening -- a nice large bucket full. They're my favorite berries as they remind me of my childhood summers.

    ReplyDelete