Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

It's been a momentous day. It has ushered in a new president, a new future. History was written on this day. What was needed to be said has already been said; I will not trouble hacking out my own (mimicked) copy of flowery words. 

Today I spent my lunch break huddled around a television set with about thirty other people, and watched the news. The inaugural ceremony, with the air of a holiday? This should happen every day.

Later I again attempted to watch the inaugural proceedings in the company of two different groups of people. Let me say to the first- thank you. All attention was on what was happening. I have never seen so many people my age so engaged with affairs of state, all at the same time. It was rather amazing.

The second room was a different story. I don't have a problem with people acting like imbeciles. We all do sometimes. But it would be awfully kind of them to carry on somewhere else, so we can hear the news. It's a little shocking to see how little some know and care about one of the most significant events in the recent history of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment